University of Exeter PhD Scholarships for Black British Researchers in the Faculty of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences. Ref: 4727
About the award
Faculty of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences.
This programme offering 4-year fully-funded PhD studentships to support Black British researchers has been established by philanthropic donations from University of Exeter alumni – you can read more about the donors here.
About the scholarship scheme
The aim of these scholarships is to help improve access and participation in PhD study for talented Black British students. Each studentship offers a comprehensive funding and support package designed to enable students to succeed in their PhD programme and beyond, including:
• 4 years of stipend funding at the UKRI rate (currently £17,668 for 2022/23)
• Funding for tuition fees the Home fee rate
• A research training support grant (to cover project costs; ranging from £2,000 minimum up to maximum of £10,000 for higher cost projects)
• The opportunity to undertake a placement of up to 6 months (in total) during the 4-year PhD programme (with access to additional funding of up to £2,500 to support placement costs).
• Access to mentoring support (specific to this studentship scheme)
Studentships can be held on a full-time or a part-time basis (part-time awards will be made on a pro-rate basis). Students on this scheme are expected to register on campus-based PhD programmes (i.e. distance learning is not supported).
Studentships for September 2023 entry
This scheme will fund at least eight students in total, with three studentships now open for applications to start a PhD in September 2023 – one in each of our three Faculties. The information provided here is for applicants to the Faculty of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences.
Applications are invited for PhD study in any research area within this Faculty (subject to the availability of suitable supervision).
Please note: other research degree programmes (such as professional doctorates or Masters by Research) are not open for application under the University of Exeter PhD Scholarships for Black British Researchers scheme.
The aim of this scholarship scheme is to improve participation by Black British students in PhD study at the University of Exeter. Applicants must meet the following entry criteria:
• Have UK nationality and have ‘Home’ tuition fee status (your fee status will be assessed when you apply)
• Identify as belonging to any Black ethnic group:
o Black African
o Black Caribbean
o Black Other
o Mixed – White and Black Caribbean
o Mixed – White and Black African
o Other mixed background which includes Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other
• Applicants should not be already enrolled on a PhD programme at the University of Exeter.
You will need to meet the academic entry requirements for the particular PhD programme on which you would be registered if successful in your studentship application (please note, you do not need to make a programme application at this stage; just follow the studentship application process outlined below).
You must be logged in to post a comment.